You are here
Research interests: terrorism and related forms of political violence; revolutionary traditions; modernism; literature; historical method; and Russian, German, and European cultural-intellectual history.
- The Odd Man Karakozov: Imperial Russia, Modernity, and the Birth of Terrorism. Cornell, 2009. Paperback 2011.
- Kinship, Community, and Self: Essays in Honor of David Warren Sabean, eds. Jason Coy, Jared Poley, Benjamin Marschke, and Claudia Verhoeven. Berghahn Books, 2014.
- Articles & Anthology Chapters:
- “’Une Révolution Vraiment Scientifique’: Russian Revolutionary Terrorism, the Escape from the European Orbit, and the Invention of a New Revolutionary Paradigm,” Scripting Revolutions, eds. Keith Michael Baker and Dan Edelstein. Stanford/Surhkamp, 2015.
- “Adventures in Terrorism: Sergei Stepniak-Kravchinsky and the Literary Lives of the Russian Revolutionary Community, 1860s-1880s,” Community, Kinship, and Self: Essays in Honor of David Warren Sabean, eds. Jason Coy, Jared Poley, Benjamin Marschke, and Claudia Verhoeven. Berghahn Books, 2014.
- “Wormholes in Russian History: Events ‘Outside of Time’ (Featuring Malevich, Morozov, and Mayakovsky),” Breaking Up Time: Settling the Borders between the Present, the Past and the Future, ed. Christ Lorenz and Berber Bevernage. Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2013.
- “Oh, Times, There is No Time (But the Time that Remains): The Terrorist in Russian Literature, 1863-1913,” Terrorism and Narrative Practice, eds. Thomas Austenfeld, Dimiter Daphinoff, Jens. Munster: LIT Verlag, 2011.
- “Time of Terror, Terror of Time: On the Impatience of Russian Revolutionary Terrorism.” Special Issue of Jahrbücher für die Geschichte Osteuropas: “Terrorism in Imperial Russia: New Perspectives.” 58 (2010): 2, pp. 254-273.
- “Crime and Punishment Draws the Line,” in Blooms Literary Themes: Civil Disobedience, ed. Harold Bloom and Blake Hobby. Chelsea House, 2010.
- “Court Files,” in Reading Primary Sources. The Interpretation of Texts from 19th and 20th Century History, ed. Miriam Dobson and Benjamin Ziemann. Routledge, 2008.
- “The Making of Russian Revolutionary Terrorism,” in Enemies of Humanity: The Nineteenth-Century War on Terrorism, ed. Isaac Land. Palgrave-MacMillan, 2008.
- “The ‘German Autumn’ Between Mallorca and Mogadishu,” H-German, December 4, 2007.